- Pre-school education
- Keeping girls in secondary school
- Adult literacy
- Vision, Commitment and Action
- Mass awareness on key priorities such as sanitation, women’s rights, health, nutrition and farming.
- Leadership Skills
- Smith and Haddad (2000) found that women’s education is associated with almost 43% of the reduction in child malnutrition in developing countries from 1970 to 1995. (Cited in the report of the Millennium Project, 2005).
Global campaigns and initiatives:
- Global Education First Initiative: The UN Secretary General’s initiative to (a) put every child in school, (b) improve the quality of education, (c) foster global citizenship.
- Education for All Movement: Launched in 2000 in Dakar, 164 countries committed to six goals by 2015.
- Global Campaign for Education: Civil Society movement to end the education crisis.
- Let Girls Learn: A new initiative by the First Lady Michelle Obama and the Peace Corps to expand access to education for adolescent girls around the world.
- Global Partnership for Education: started as the Education for All – Fast Track Initiative and now comprises 60 agencies worldwide.
- UNESCO supports ministries of education
- UNICEF has a focus area on Basic Education and Gender Equality
- UN Girls Education Initiative
- World Bank invests in education
- Brookings Institution – Center for Universal Education has developed global learning metrics.
Relevant posts on this site:
- If, When and Whom to Marry: Young Women Choosing Their Best Future of Health April 12, 2019
- PNPM Progress: A Path Towards Sustainability in Indonesia March 15, 2017
- DC Launch of 2016 Access to Nutrition Index March 1, 2016
- UNICEF Calls for Innovation November 10, 2015
- Launch of I Am Malala: A Resource Guide for Educators, with Ziauddin Yousafzai December 1, 2014
- What constitutes an enabling environment for the poor to succeed in their own development? April 29, 1994
Key reports and data sources:
- 2013 Education for All Global Monitoring Report
- Unicef State of the World’s Children Report
- Unicef 2015 – Education #Everychild 2 pager
- Unicef 2015 – The Investment Case for Education and Equity
- Unicef/Unesco 2015 – Fixing the Broken Promise of Education for All
Must read books