THP Perspective: Most of our partners lack electricity. This is a barrier to peoples’ right to development: their health center lacks a cold-chain and reliable service at night, they lack reliable access to information or even the chance to read when they have time. They depend on inefficient and dangerous wood-powered cookstoves, creating health problems, especially for women. Empowering our communities to access safe cooking fuels and at least a modicum of reliable and affordable electricity is a priority.
- Work with communities to develop and adopt efficient, safe cookstoves.
- Strengthen the ability of communities to negotiate connections to the local grid where available, or to gain access to sustainable power through solar panels.
Global Campaigns and Initiatives:
- The UN Secretary General’s Sustainable Energy for All Initiative
- President Obama’s Power Africa initiative
- Global Alliance for Clean Cook Stoves
- UNIDO – Energy and Environment Priority
- Asian Development Bank – Energy for All Program
Key reports and data sources:
Key blogs and newsfeeds:
- E. F. Schumacher, Small is Beautiful