- Training front-line health workers, such as traditional birth attendants (TBAs), health animators and HIV/AIDS and Gender Inequality Animators.
- Establishing 24/7 clinics (our version of Universal Health Coverage)
- Promoting a “continuum of care” to protect mothers and children – from family planning and pre-natal care services, to safe-delivery and post-natal care.
- Promoting mass awareness and ensuring availability of essential commodities for preventing, detecting and treating HIV/AIDS, TB, Malaria and other diseases.
- Health access is a gender issue – families are up to 7x more likely to take a son than a daughter to a health clinic, and many women are prevented from seeking care by taboos, traditions or culturally insensitive workers.
Global Campaigns and Initiatives:
- The UN Secretary-General’s Every Woman Every Child Campaign, of which THP is a partner
- The Countdown 2015 MNCH campaign, to empower policy makers to understand the statistics and issue.
- The “Renewing the Promise” Child Survival Campaign, of which THP is a partner
- Family Planning 2020 Campaign launched in London in 2012
- Million Health Workers Campaign
- Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria
- PEPFAR: President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief
- UN Foundation hosts the FP2020 Reference Group
- Gates Foundation
- Frontline Health Workers Coalition
- NGOS: Partners in Health, Save the Children, PATH, International Medical Corps, Women Deliver
Relevant posts on this site:
- If, When and Whom to Marry: Young Women Choosing Their Best Future of Health April 12, 2019
- PNPM Progress: A Path Towards Sustainability in Indonesia March 15, 2017
- DC Launch of 2016 Access to Nutrition Index March 1, 2016
- UNICEF Calls for Innovation November 10, 2015
- Evidence for Integrated Development April 22, 2015
- Multi-purpose Nutrition Indicators: Measuring Progress of Comprehensive Post 2015 Development Agenda March 31, 2015
- World Bank Crisis Meeting on Ebola October 10, 2014
- Countdown to 2015 – 2014 Report July 10, 2014
- UNCoLSC Recommendations to increase access to, and use of Life-saving commodities April 1, 2014
- Partnership for Maternal Newborn & Child Health (PMNCH) Policy Brief April 1, 2014
Key reports and data sources:
Key blogs and newsfeeds:
- Kaiser Family Foundation – Global Health Policy publishes an excellent daily email update.
- World Health Day 2014: Combating vector-borne diseases
- CSW58 Women’s Health in Conflict Areas
- Malaria Maps Reveal that 184 million Africans still live in extremely high-risk areas (The Lancet)
- World Bank Crisis Meeting on Ebola
- Tracy Kidder, Mountains on Mountains