On the first morning of “Beijing+20” – the 59th session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women – The Hunger Project hosted a parallel event with BRAC, Helen Keller International and with the support of the UN Secretary-General’s Zero Hunger Challenge.
Our speakers included:
- Nasima Akhter “Joly”, Program Director, The Hunger Project-Bangladesh
- Sheepa Hafiza, Director Gender Justice and Diversity, BRAC Migration Programme, BRAC
- Erica Khetran, Former Bangladesh country director, Helen Keller International, now the practice manager, Land O’Lakes.
- Tazima Majumdar, member of The Hunger Project’s 1995 Delegation to Bangladesh and current Hunger Project volunteer activist
- Moderated by Bridget Barry, Program Associate for South Asia and Latin America, The Hunger Project
We considered the event to be a success. Attendance was standing room only, and our four expert speakers gave a rich picture of both the progress and remaining challenges facing women and girls in Bangladesh.
(Photo: Erica, Sheepa, Tazima, Joly, Bridget)