The World Water Day (WWD) 2014 will be celebrated on 22 March 2014 around the world. The main celebration of World Water Day will be organized by United Nations University (UNU) and the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) on behalf of UN-Water. The celebration will take place at the UNU Heaquarters in Tokyo, Japan from 20-21 March 2014.
The main theme of the 2014 WWD will be water and energy, and the key messages of this year’s WWD are the following:
1. Water requires energy and energy requires water
2. Supplies are limited and demand is increasing
3. Saving energy is saving water. Saving water is saving energy
4. The “bottom billion” urgently needs access to both water and sanitation services, and electricity
5. Improving water and energy efficiency is imperative as co-ordinated, coherent and concerted policies
The UN-Water, UNIDO and UNU have released a World Water Day 2014 Advocacy Guide. The main aim of the Advocacy Guide are the following:
– To help communicate the purpose of WWD 2014 and to introduce key information relevant to the theme of WWD2014: water and energy.
– To encourage advocacy and stakeholder action towards improving combined and co-ordinated water and energy management and governance.
– To promote information sharing about WWD 2014 activities, efforts and events, and also to encourage longer-term sharing of success stories and other valuable water and energy knowledge.
To download and read a PDF version of the World Water Day 2014 Advocacy Guide, click here.